Thursday, January 15, 2009

How to Knit ~ Continental Style

I first learned to knit almost 6 years ago when I was pregnant with Staci. My audit partner at the time, also named Rhonda, was knitting, and she got me interested. She was able to make scarves for Christmas presents using just one skein of Homespun yarn; and she made it look easy and relaxing. Since my commute to work was light rail at the time, I thought it would be perfect to learn how to knit, as this was something I could do and feel like I was accomplishing something on my ride home from work each day.

Off to Wal*Mart I went. I returned to work the following week with my size 11 needles and Lion Brand Homespun yarn. Rhonda showed me what to do, but then when I got home, I couldn't remember exactly what she did. I looked online and used Lion Brand Yarn's website (a great site with tutorials and free patterns), and used the pictures to teach me what to do. I fell in love with knitting, but as I watched Rhonda the next day, I realized that she knits differently than I do.

I then discovered that I knit "Continental" style. To me, it is so much faster and easier... and I am one that if there's a faster way to do it, count me in.

Rhonda has continued her knitting classes and is currently working on a sweater for her granddaughter's first birthday. She uses tiny needles that are the size of chopsticks, if not smaller.. ... I still prefer size 11 needles as my all-time favorite, but I adore the larger size needles as well.

I was browsing knitting patterns online and found this tutorial on Continental Knitting and wanted to share.

Have a great day!

No comments: