Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Swimming Lessons





The girls are in their second week of swim lessons through the Roseville Parks & Recreation District. I was so proud of Shauna yesterday - it was the first time she jumped into the pool and swam to her teacher without standing on the side for three minutes chanting "I'm scared." I told her I was so proud of her for being so brave, and that if she prayed to Jesus and asked Him to help her, she could be even braver. She got a huge grin on her face. She loves to be in the pool, but only feels confident when she can stand/touch bottom.


She reminds me of myself, and probably many others - how often are we confident and trusting in the Lord? Is it only when we can "touch bottom" and know exactly what to expect - or are we willing to just jump in for Jesus and do whatever he asks us, not knowing if we will be successful or fail and drop to the bottom. Hint: if we truly trust Jesus, I don't believe that He will let us fail - or even if we do what we consider "failing," that doesn't mean we're a failure. I think that many times I limit God by not allowing myself to fully trust Him. I wonder if God is there on the sidelines chanting "you can do it, Rhonda, you can do it - come on, you can do it" just as Mr. Dan is telling Shauna when she's on the sidelines saying "I can't, I'm scared."


The next time you're tempted to say "I can't," remember this post, and do even more than "The Little Engine That Could," not saying I think I can, I think I can - but, "I know I can, I know I can."


Have a blessed day!

2 comments:

MARY L PARKER said...

Tell the girls Grandma and Grandpa are very proud of them! :)

Mariah said...

Very Very nice. Love the blog and the cute cute pics. Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed reading your writings as well. Keep it up.